Safety Instrumented Systems with FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland)
Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd. is an approved course provider for Safety Instrumented Systems training of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program.
Why attend the course?
There is an increasing dependence on Safety Instrumented Systems to achieve tolerable risk levels in the process sector. In addition there is an increasing need to justify that the risk levels that have been achieved are tolerable. Subsequent to incidents such as Texas City (USA) and Buncefield (UK), there has been a greater emphasis on standards such as IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
The standards cover not only the design requirements of the systems themselves but also the development of the Safety Requirements Specification in terms of the Safety Instrumented Functions to be performed and the Safety Integrity Levels of those Safety Instrumented Functions.
The management of functional safety and the competence of those involved in any Safety Lifecycle activity are also specified in the standards.
Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, participants should have an understanding of:
- Management of functional safety and specifying competence and competence assessment;- Functional safety and the role of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 in achieving functional safety
- The concept of risk reduction, risk reduction parameters and the concept of a target and a tolerable risk
- The concept of a safety instrumented function with respect to its functionality
- The concept of a safety instrumented function with respect to its safety integrity
- The role of a Safety instrument System, other engineered measures and risk parameters in achieving a tolerable risk
- Safety Integrity and Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- SIL determination concepts and methods
- Modes of operation and associated Target Failures Measures
- Hardware Safety Integrity, Systematic Safety Integrity & Systematic Capability
- Hardware Fault Tolerance and Safe Failure Fraction
- Procurement of element/devices in accordance with IEC 61508
- Functional Safety Assessment and Certification
- Design essentials for IEC 61508
- Design essentials for IEC 61511
- Functional Safety Assessment for IEC 61508
- Functional Safety Assessment for IEC 61511
Full Course Outline is available here
Who will benefit
The course is aimed at those who have responsibilities within the scope of IEC 61508 & IEC 61511.
- Systems integrators of Safety Instrumented Systems being designed to meet the requirements of IEC 61511
- Control and instrumentation engineers, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers who have responsibility for HAZOPs and SIL determination exercises, specification, design, operation and maintenance of plants employing Safety Instrumented Systems
- End users’ with responsibility for the operation and maintenance phase of the safety lifecycle who wish to have a better understanding of the design and systems integration process so they are able to make informed decisions that have an impact to the operation of the facilities (e.g. implications on future maintainability of the safety instrumented systems)
Pre-requisites for “FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland)” Certificate
The following requirements have to be met, to participate in a training of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program and to get the FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of functional safety
- University degree (Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering)
- Equivalent engineer level responsibilities status certified by employer
The training is led by one of our FS Expert (TÜV Rheinland) for Safety Instrumented Systems.
The course director defining the course content is Ron Bell, the Director of Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd (ESC), a technical consultancy specialising in functional safety.
Ron Bell is also a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor at Liverpool John Moores University.
Course Duration & Examination
The course consists of three days of classroom tuition and practical guidance, mixed with practical exercises based on real life examples. Day four consists of a case study session in the morning followed by a four-hour Two-Part examination in the afternoon where:
- Part 1 of the examination comprises a number of Multiple-Choice questions (where only one answer is correct) and Multiple-Response questions (where, at most only two correct answers are possible)
- The scoring for the Multiple Choice is one mark for a correct answer and no marks for an incorrect answer
- The scoring for the Multiple-Response questions is one mark for a correct answer and two marks are available for the two possible correct answers
- Part 2 = 10 multiple-part questions. Three marks per question are available for a correct answer
Please allow till 18:00 on Friday to complete the exam.
Course Approval Criteria
The pass mark for the examination is 75%.
The course will be undertaken in English.
(for those who did not pass the examination)
- Within one year after a failed examination, applicants may sign up once for another examination, free of charge. The re-sit of the examination will need to be on one of our other course dates.
- If applicants sign up for attending the training course again, they have to pay full course price
The price per participant is from GBP £1,990 + VAT depending on location.
This price includes:
- Course material
- Registration fees
- FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate if the participant has successfully passed the examination and requirements relating to other course requirements (e.g. experience etc.) have been met
- Refreshments and Lunch
This course can be completed without taking the examination held on day 4. Participants will receive a certificate of attendance, but not a FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate. The price per participant is from GBP £1,650 + VAT depending on location.
Note: The course must be retaken in full to sit the exam.
Course evaluation will be via a ‘Survey Monkey’ email survey.
|03/09/2019 - 06/09/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||The Catch Center|
Redwood Park Estate
North East Lincolnshire
|24/09/2019 - 27/09/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||Jurys Inn Southampton|
1 Charlotte Place
|15/10/2019 - 18/10/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||Rochestown Park Hotel|
1 Rochestown Road
|05/11/2019 - 08/11/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||Barcelona|
Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes 630
Click Book for more details on pricing for this locaiton
|03/12/2019 - 06/12/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||ESC London|
27-37 St George’s Road
Please contact us to discuss if you’d like any further information: