Introduction to Functional Safety (IEC 61508) – 1 Day Training Course
The course will focus on the fundamentals of Functional Safety, incorporating the generic standard IEC 61508, which is a key cornerstone of subject and other related standards. The course continues and sets out the relationships to other sector and product standards.
This is a standalone course for people interested in finding out more on Functional Safety and is a benefit for those attending the TÜV Rheinland FS Engineer’s course, providing a grounding/reminder of the foundations of Functional Safety in advance of the four-day course.
Click here for a brief Introduction to Functional Safety.
Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, participants should have an appreciation of
- Management of functional safety
- Safety Lifecycle Concepts
- Compliance framework for IEC 61508
- Functional safety and the role of IEC 61508 and other related standards in achieving functional safety
- The concept of risk reduction, risk reduction parameters and the concept of a tolerable risk
- The concept of a safety function with respect to its functionality and its performance
- The role of a safety-related, other engineered measures and risk parameters in achieving a tolerable risk
- Concept of Safety Integrity and Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- SIL determination concepts and methods
- Functional Safety Assessment and Certification
Full Course Outline is available here
The training is led by one of our functional safety trainers for Safety Instrumented Systems.
The course director defining the course content is Ron Bell, Director of Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd (ESC), a technical consultancy specialising in functional safety.
Ron Bell is also a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor at Liverpool John Moores University.
Qualifications, Skills, Competence gained
- Certificate setting out the key topics covered in the course
- Enhanced knowledge of functional safety that will facilitate improved decision-making
Who will benefit
- All persons who need to have an appreciation of functional safety in general and international standard IEC 61508 and associated standards covering sectors and products
- Persons who already have some appreciation of functional safety but wish to gain a better appreciation of the management of functional safety and its core concepts
- Candidates attending one of ESC’s TÜV Rheinland FS Engineer courses.
Course evaluation will be via a ‘Survey Monkey’ email survey.
|04/03/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||The Catch Center|
Redwood Park Estate
North East Lincolnshire
|01/04/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||ESC London|
27-37 St George’s Road
|08/04/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||Tradewinds Hotel, Trinidad & Tobago|
36-38 London Street
St. Joseph Village
|13/05/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||ESC Warrington|
The Breeze at Carnoustie House, Kelvin Close, Birchwood
|24/06/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||TBC, Edinburgh|
|16/09/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||TBC, Southampton|
|14/10/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||TBC, Cork - Republic of Ireland|
|02/12/2019||9:00 am - 5:00 pm||ESC London|
27-37 St George’s Road
Please contact us to discuss if you’d like any further information: